3Bond and 3Cox are preparing a performance for you. We are beginning to practice some songs for a short musical that we would like to perform for you on May 26th at 2:15. If your child chooses to have a speaking part they will bring their lines home to practice. We hope you can make it!
Have a great Tuesday!
Welcome back everyone! I hope you had a great Easter and some extra time off to spend with your children.
Here is the spelling list for this week. We will try 20 words and see how it goes. Keep in mind that the second 10 words build on the first 10. Have a great week everyone!
Our class is starting a mathematics unit on multiplication and division. Multiplication and division are basic computational skills that children must eventually master in order to succeed in higher levels of mathematics. The focus of this unit is on developing an understanding of the processes of multiplication and division in order to develop strategies for multiplying and dividing whole numbers up to 5×5. Children will use counters, number lines, and arrays to develop their understanding.
In this unit, your child will:
- Model multiplication and division up to 5 x 5
- Find strategies to multiply and divide up to 5 x 5
- Pose and solve story problems involving multiplication and division.
Encourage your child to share different strategies used to multiply and divide.
We use multiplication and division in many day-to-day situations.
Here are some suggestions for activities you can do at home:
- Look for things that come in groups of 2, 3, 4, and 5. Create problems. For example: Bikes have 2 tires. How many tires are on 4 bikes?
- Use a deck of playing cards, using only the 1s (Aces) to 5s. Shuffle the cards. Flip the first card. This represents the number of groups. Flip the second card. This represents the number of objects in each group. Have your child draw a picture to match the cards, and write a multiplication and division sentence to match the picture. Continue until all cards are used up.
Our class has started a mathematics unit on shape and space. Geometric shapes are all around us, and mathematics can help your child recognize them. Understanding geometric form will help them appreciate the geometry found in art, design, architecture, and nature.
In this short unit, your child will:
- Identify and name various shapes with 3 or more sides
- Build, represent, and describe geometric objects
- Draw and talk about 2-D shapes and 3-D objects
We go on our field trip tomorrow to Garden EXperience put on by Agriculture in the Classroom tomorrow. Please remember that all students in 3C need to stay at school for lunch.
Below are the instructions that will be in your child’s portfolio to help guide them through the Student Led Activity Conference tomorrow night. I don’t usually post this ahead of time, but thought it may help anyone new to the process have a better understanding of what tomorrow night will be like. See you then!
2017 Student Led Activity Conference