We are working on strengthening our inferring skills.
When readers learn to infer while reading:
- they learn to look for clues in text, in pictures, and in their own knowledge that will help them to make sense of text.
- they are encouraged to become good “book detectives.”
- they learn that some authors write very little text but leave clues for the reader to discover and interpret.
- they understand that the expression “less is more” means that fewer words on the page can mean more thinking for the reader.
- they are learning to fill in, in their heads, the what’s not written on the page.
- they are more likely to say, “Oh, I get it now!” while they read.